Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Business of Writing

Back in the days when I was employed as an Administrative Assistant, a career "move"* that drove to me apply to grad school in creative writing, I had no idea how well what seemed like an OCD-level attention to detail would serve me in later life. (Nothing like being reminded to use color-coordinated thumb tacks on the bulletin board that hangs behind your desk to make you re-evaluate what you're doing with your life.)

Not only has my "administrative" bent come in handy for times when I prove I'm out of my mind by doing things like serving on preschool Boards, it's one of the few things that's allowed me to keep my sanity for SIXTEEN YEARS of submitting short fiction.

Sixteen years! If the simplest definition of mental illness is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results, I clearly should be institutionalized.

On such administration did I squander my morning. But in the process, I uncovered this site devoted to the business side of the submission process.

It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it.

And for anybody who's interested, apparently there's a genre we've all been reading called Brooklyn Books of Wonder. And a backlash against it as well.

It sucks to be so behind the cultural times.




*It seemed better than managing the Bennetton's at the mall.

1 comment:

jesswynne said...

I think that backlash is almost as long as the book...