Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Snippets

1. Been out of town and, since I bought books while gone, the nightstand pile threatens to overwhelm me (as does the laundry, the still-packed suitcase on the living room floor, the preschool emails that came in while I was gone, and the general trivality of life).

2. Obama is ahead by 50% in our precinct as of this incredibly early moment.

3. My story, The Artists Colony, is up and running, at fivechapters.com . I love the way Five Chapters serializes stories. Wouldn't it be great if such ideas revolutionized the always-moribund short story market? If people started reading stories at work the way they check blogs?

4. From the NYTimes review of a new book out (Against the Machine: Being Human in the Age of the Electronic Mob, by Lee Siegal):

Siegal argues that the Internet invites people to 'carefully craft their privacy into a marketable, public style.'


Ah, yes, that Pristine Surface . Given my recent online pub, and the fact that a few people from that site may wander to this site, I should be using this space to wax eloquent about something.

Instead, you get this.

2 comments:

Bernadette said...

Seeking a segment of time to get started on your five chapters. Perhaps at midnight tonight. I read the opening and can't wait to get back.

Anonymous said...

Late to the party, but I just read the first chapter. As I mentioned to your husband, it immediately made me think of "Titus Groan" by Mervyn Peake.

Can't wait to get a break at work to read the next chapter.